Quarry Lane International Academy Graduation Requirements
International Academy students must meet the Quarry Lane Graduation requirements that are based on, and exceed, the admission requirements for the University of California. Students are required to submit transcripts of prior high school equivalent course work from their country of origin. An outside evaluator will assess all transcripts to determine course, grade, and credit equivalents at Quarry Lane. The Quarry Lane subject requirements for graduation, and reference to acceptable prior course work in the student’s country of origin, are as follows:
- Social Studies (30 credits) three years required to include any combination of one year World History, one year Western Civilization, one year World History, and one year American Government & Economics. International students can satisfy one year of U.S. History with a variety of history, cultures, and geography courses from their native country.
- English (40 credits) four years college preparatory English required. International students can transfer up to two years of college preparatory courses with a strong emphasis in reading, writing, and literature in their native language. One year of EL English 1 taken in the United States is also acceptable. All students must complete English 2.
- Mathematics (40 credits) four years required with a minimum equivalent courses in Algebra, Geometry, and Algebra II.
- Science (30 credits) two years physical science and one year life science. One year of science in an integrated science sequence of two years can be substituted for one year of the science requirement. Two years of science in an integrated science sequence of three can be substituted for two years of the science requirement.
- Foreign Language (30 credits) three years required of same language. A bilingual student is considered to have met this requirement. At least one year of an additional foreign language is strongly recommended.
- Fine Arts (10 credits) one year required.
- Electives (additional courses to complete a minimum of 230 credits required for graduation)
- Physical Education (10 credits) one year required.
Additional notes on University of California international admission procedures:
- “Each university has experienced international admission specialists to evaluate foreign academic records and determine transferability of foreign coursework. They are knowledgeable about the different grading systems and methods for reporting coursework in other countries.”
- “The minimum TOEFL score required to demonstrate proficiency is 79 to 83 on the internet based test. English courses taken in the United States may be substituted for the TOEFL, but requirements vary from campus to campus.”